CNC Recognizes Biden Harris Milestone as Progressive Call to Action
CNC urges Californians across the state to stay the course
This week marks the beginning of the second year of the Biden-Harris administration. Pablo Rodriguez, founding executive director of Communities for a New California (CNC) issued the following statement:
“Californians organized and overwhelmingly voted against the conservative ticket with the goal of redirecting our nation’s trajectory. The result was a historic Biden-Harris administration that is helping us to transform the lives of families across the country. As we fight for our families at the local and state levels, we celebrate that we have strong allies at the federal level who are providing support for our work.
“Our efforts have not gone in vain and our voices are being heard. Despite the unprecedented challenges that we have faced and opposition from conservatives, this administration is bringing us closer to achieving our goals. First, strategic efforts have been undertaken to advance racial equity - from forming a government that reflects the diversity of the nation through the first Cabinet in history where people of color constitute the majority to increasing federal contracts to disadvantaged communities or closing the racial equity gap in COVID-19 vaccination. Laying this foundation has helped gain ground in a myriad of fields.
“Some of the most important advances made in the Biden-Harris administration thus far include:
- The creation of a historic vaccination program which resulted in tens of millions of residents getting vaccinated. Millions more teenagers and children have also been vaccinated, helping to keep schools open.
- Financial aid was disbursed to families of mixed-status in stimulus checks as well as child tax credits.
- Affordable health care coverage was expanded - and now we have the highest number of people ever covered. Copays were also lowered for many.
- This administration has jump-started a green movement to help tackle the climate crisis by deploying more clean energy sources and reducing pollution, especially in underserved communities.
- A whopping six million jobs have been created and the unemployment rate dropped from 6.2% when Biden took office to 3.9%.
- We now have the largest investment and national, bipartisan plan to get safe and clean drinking water to all Americans.
- Both the American Rescue Plan and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law were passed, setting us up for more investments in children, broadband, roads and bridges, and more.
- We’ve made strides in criminal justice reform as a result of The Department of Justice having banned federal law enforcement from using chokeholds and no-knock” entries. President Biden also provided historic levels of funding through the American Rescue Plan for community programs that are proven to reduce crime and make our communities safer.
“We are encouraged by our progress to date but this week's defeat on voting rights highlights our collective unfinished business.
CNC continues committed to progressive Climate Change policy, solutions to lack of housing, and improving jobs and economy for our families. Altogether, our commitment to our neighborhoods is gearing us up for the upcoming midterm elections, where we will have another opportunity to demonstrate our values and our vision for California and the nation. Every step we take together gets us closer to fulfilling the progressive vision that we have for our future.”
Communities for a New California Education Fund is building a new power in the San Joaquin, Central and Imperial valleys by inspiring working-class Californians to engage, activate and fight for social change in their communities. With the help of staff and volunteers from the very communities we serve, CNC EF organizes and educates residents about policy issues that impact our rural families and organize to improve our neighborhoods.